Sunday, May 3, 2015

There are No Herring in The Herring Run in Sandwich Town Center

Sandwich Herring Run
Herring Run in Sandwich Town Center
I  walked to the Sandwich Town Center and ended up getting a drink at the water fountain by the Town Hall. People were looking at the herring run that runs from the Shawme Pond past the Dexter Grist Mill to the marsh. The only problem is that there are no herring.

A local fisherman told me a few months ago that the Norwegians have over-fished them and they are now an endangered species. So the herring run is as pretty as ever, but very empty. I remember as a child, taking a net and trying to scoop them up. I have to admit that catching them was more fun than helping my father smoke them. I didn't like the smell and I really didn't like the way they tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment