Friday, May 8, 2015

Lone Star Tick Threat at Sandy Neck Beach

Sandy Neck Beach
Dunes at Sandy Neck Beach
I went for  a walk on Sandy Neck Beach today. One of the beach employees was warning people about the Lone Star Tick. It's a new tick to the area and was just found on Sandy Neck Beach. It carries it's own set of diseases.

That's not good news in an area that is infested with deer ticks that carry Lyme Disease. When I walk in the forest or work in the garden, I always wear insect repellent that has DEET in it. Until today, I didn't think that I had to wear it to the beach every day.

I always have it with me in case the green flies are in town. However, the employee told me I should use it here as well. Lyme disease varies in each person. Some have very small symptoms, get medicine and then get better. Other people barely get out of bed. I hope the Lone Star Tick diseases aren't this bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment